Hello Dashner fans!
I got a chance to read an ARC of James Dashner‘s new book, The Eye of Minds, and posed several questions for him to answer about it. No worries, there are no spoilers for this part of the interview.
1) Describe The Eye of Minds in 3 words
James Dashner: Twisty. Fast. Fear.
2) There were some pretty interesting riddles in the story. Was it difficult to come up with the riddles?
JD: I’ve always been fascinated with riddles. In fact, every series I’ve ever written has had some type of riddle embedded within it. The funny thing is, I grew up so impressed with authors who did that and it was something about which I had very little confidence in myself. But I keep trying, and it seems to keep working.
3) You said this book was inspired by certain movies. Were there any video games that also inspired the story?
JD: The first video game that truly struck me and stayed with me was The Legend of Zelda. That sense of going on a mission and meeting different challenges definitely inspired The Path in my book.
4) You gave almost all your characters from The Maze Runner a first name only. And it seems you’re keeping that trend for this book as well. Any reason for that?
JD: I usually don’t find much point in telling you what someone’s last name is. They rarely come up in casual conversation, especially amongst friends. It just seems info-dumpy. Plus, it makes the character a little more open to your interpretation the less you know specifically.
5) What was the most challenging part about writing this novel?
JD: Crafting it to build to the end I wanted. I’ve never planned and crafted this much.
6) You have three major characters in this first book of the series, one of them being female. Will there be any romantic development between any of them, minor or major?
JD: I’m not a big romance guy, as my readers can attest. If something develops naturally, it will, but it will never be a main aspect of my works.
7) What are your favorite video games to play?
JD: Skyrim is awesome. But, honestly, I like physical gaming more than video gaming. Everything from Magic to Ticket to Ride!
The Eye of Minds comes out Tuesday, October 8, 2013. Check out my short, non-spoiler review of The Eye of Minds.